OFFICE ADMINISTRATOR JOB OPENING
The Office Administrator of St. Andrew’s Lutheran Church, Ames IA is responsible for the overall daily operations of the church office. This means coordination of the workflow as well as maintaining a friendly and professional atmosphere in the office.
The right candidate is energetic, detail-oriented, creative, warm and welcoming, dependable, a self-starter, and able to work both independently and in coordination with the lead pastor, committees, and church members.
Core Responsibilities Include:
- Serve as primary point of contact for church members, board members and guests
- Create an inviting atmosphere for anyone entering the church office area
- Assist any callers or ‘walk-ins’ with information
- Answer phone calls and relay messages to appropriate people
- Maintain confidentiality
- Give tours of facilities
- Assist repair persons in finding locations needing repairs
- Serve as a communication facilitator for members and volunteers as necessary
- Coordinate electronic and other media communications to congregation and community, including Facebook, Twitter and SALC website
- Prepare, edit and distribute the newsletter
- Prepare correspondence and materials from the pastor and staff and congregational organizations for distribution
- Distribute the daily mail; help prepare congregational mailings
- Design newspaper ads, banners, brochures, business cards and posters for church use
III. Maintain Congregational Statistical Records and Reports
- Maintain member and guest information; update and distribute church directory as needed
- Prepare standard forms and documents such as certificates, transfers, etc.
- Maintain and periodically update files
- Gather information, type and supervise production of the annual report to the congregation and the synod
- Input and correct information in ICON
IV. Facility Usage
- Maintain the calendar of all church facility events
- Process facility use requests and applicable charges
- Communicate regularly with the pastor concerning facility use
- Maintain the key locker and records
- Maintain a map and records of burial niches of columbarium and payments
- Instruct about engraving of face plates
V. Special Projects
- Serve as lead support service for special projects of the Council, Boards and Committees (such as Board Policy and Procedures Handbook, Personnel Handbook, Web Site Development, etc.)
- Update procedure books, wedding book, directory, website, rates, etc.
VI. Supplies and Equipment
- Maintain and order necessary office supplies—research for best pricing through multiple vendors
- Oversee the servicing and contracts of office equipment/best pricing and vendor negotiations
- Maintain and order worship supplies—research for best pricing
- Process ordering of materials and supplies as requested by Board Chairs
- Monitor and purchase supplies needed for custodians and church maintenance—seek out best pricing through multiple vendors.
- Type, edit and publish the weekly bulletins for all worship services
- Prepare PowerPoints and other programs to be used in worship services and other gatherings
- Coordinate communications for worship assistants by setting up Signup Genius for worship assistants to sign up; help those who are not computer savvy
- Prepare PowerPoint slides for narthex TV
- Prepare items for Worship & Arts committee for various events such as flower sales, funerals, baptisms, as requested
- Serve as lead support on the use and maintenance of computer software and hardware
- Ensure monthly back-up of data files
- Make sure the anti-virus runs regularly and updates are done at least monthly
- Take the lead on purchase of new computer equipment, price out with multiple vendors. Be responsible for transfer of data
- Coordinate preparation of purchase orders and financial information for the accountant; make sure receipts are attached
- Reconcile purchase orders with credit card statement
- Sign out/in credit cards and gift cards according to policies
- Verify and report weekly income count to accountant
- Verify and process income and expense reports prepared by accountant
X. Office Support Services
- Assist with other office support services as assigned
- Maintain master schedule of staff
- Maintain personal leave requests
- Maintain desk manual
- Post job openings at behest of council, download qualified applicants resumes
- 30 hours per week, 9am-3:30pm. (30 minute lunch break)
- Strong communication skills via personal, electronic and other current methods
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Reliable. At work as scheduled. Completes church-related work by deadlines. Organized, efficient self-starter who is a team player.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Publisher, Adobe Acrobat Pro, WordPress and knowledge of database programs.
- Previous office management or administrative experience in a confidential work environment.
- Previous basic bookkeeping experience (some knowledge of Quickbooks a plus)
- Positive, welcoming presence in the office in person and over the phone.
- Is supportive of the ministry and mission of the church. Membership is not required.
Supervised by: Lead Pastor
Pay: $13.50 to $15.15
Generous PTO plus paid holidays
How to apply
- Email cover letter and resume in pdf format with “Office Admin Search” in subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter with title, “ApplicantLastnameCover”;
Resume with document title, “ApplicantLastnameResume”
- Submit the above by March 23, 2020 or until position is filled.